11.16.2011

Tips

Whew...It has been a busy couple of weeks. I am the newest Associate Producer at KSL (actually the only Associate Producer) and it has definitely kept me on my toes. I majored in PR and haven't done any broadcast before so I'm having to learn absolutely EVERYTHING but it has been a lot of fun so far. A little overwhelming and intimidating at times but I'm learning and it is getting better as time goes on.

I am also down a total of 16 pounds! I can't believe it. This is the first time that I've set out to get into better shape and it has actually happened for me. I still have a little ways to go but I'm so much closer than I was a few months ago. I have been getting some questions as to what I am doing so I wanted to share a few things with everyone. Every body is different and I am in no way an expert, but these are just a few things that have worked for me. I will break them down by fitness and diet...

Fitness:
a promise

1. I try to work out 6 days a week. Sometimes it doesn't happen but I try to get as many days as possible.

2. I do strength training 3 days a week. I started out with 4 days a week but I read that your body needs 1 day after every weight lifting session to recover and build muscle--that's when it happens. So I cut it down to 3 days a week and I do about 40 minutes. I have a weight lifting video from Turbo Jam that I absolutely LOVE! With strength training, the hardest part for me is having to focus on what muscles I'm working out, what exercises I need to do, how many reps and sets of each, etc. The video lets me forget about all of that and I can just follow along.

3. I do cardio 6 days a week, Monday-Saturday and I take Sunday off. I usually do chores on Sunday so I figure that's a little workout in itself. I usually do the elliptical or the treadmill. I have found that I burn more calories on the elliptical so I tend to do that more. No matter what machine I'm on, I always pick the "Weight loss" program. I punch in my information and it switches all the intervals for me so I don't have to think about doing that. Interval training also helps me burn more calories instead of a moderate, constant pace.

4. When I plateau (it's happened a couple of times) I increase the amount of weights I am lifting. I started at 5 pounds, now I am at 6 and I'm going to have to increase it to 7 soon. I noticed that when I plateau, my weight lifting workout was getting a little easier than when I started. Increasing the weight instead of coming up with a whole new weight lifting routine worked for me to push past that plateau. I also increase the speed on the treadmill slightly to burn more calories.

5. I step on the scale everyday. I started only weighing myself once a week but I would get anxiety dreams the night before every weigh-in. So doing it once a day lets me see how I am progressing and I don't get those dreams anymore. I don't go crazy if I have gained a pound or two over night. That usually happens when I don't drink enough water the day before so I make sure that day to drink enough and the scale usually goes back down.

6. Wear the right clothing. If you aren't comfortable in what you're wearing, your going to be miserable when you are working out. The other day I wore one of my Utah State shirts on the treadmill and I was pulling at the neck the whole time because I felt like it was choking me. Never again will I workout wearing a crew neck shirt. I wear a tank or scoop neck t-shirt and shorts, capris or yoga pants. I also have a pair of cross trainers and some Reebok Runtones that I wear only when I'm on the treadmill. Doing anything else in them tends to be too strenuous and I'm afraid I will hurt myself.

7. I try to schedule my plans around my workouts. I know it sounds a little crazy and perhaps a little selfish but I like to take that time for myself and do something that is really good for me. It's something that no one else can do for me and I'm a better person for it. I'm happier and healthier and that's always a better person to be around, happy and healthy.

8. I try not to beat myself up if I miss a workout. My last post I talked about hiking up to Frary peak and getting blisters and a sunburn which caused me to not be able to do my routine for a few days. I also got sick a few weeks ago and decided to take a few days off and I sometimes have days where I just don't have the energy or motivation. If that happens, I try to drink plenty of water and eat as good as I can--which brings me to my diet...


Diet:

yep

1. I'm not dieting! I don't deprive myself of anything. If I want a candy bar or brownie, I eat it. It's all about moderation. I may say no to something if I know I haven't eaten well that day or I'm going out for dinner but in most cases, I'll take the treat.

2. I write down EVERYTHING I eat. I started this a long time ago and I have tried different methods (online, on my phone, etc) but the best method that works for me is a regular little notebook and pen. I don't worry too much about counting calories or anything like that, I just write down the foods. It makes me aware of what I am eating and you just start to naturally eat healthier. When I started I didn't think, "I can't have that because I'm going to have to write it down." I just ate it and wrote it down. After about a week, I started noticing that my meals were healthier and it happened all on its own.

3. I drink plenty of water. And I mean PLENTY! The more water you drink, the less your body holds onto. I try to fill up my camelback water bottle at least 3-4 times a day but in all honesty I really don't keep track. I just always have it with me and I find myself drinking it all the time because it's there. Jillian Michaels said that when you go to the bathroom, it should look like lemonade, not apple juice. It's kind of gross but that is stuck in my head.

4. I pack my lunch. I try to do this the night before but sometimes it doesn't happen but I always pack my lunch. It's healthier and i feel better when I don't eat out all the time. It also saves me money.

5. I eat every 3-4 hours (or at least I try). Eating little meals throughout the day helps my metabolism to stay active and I don't feel sluggish. I also don't get so hungry all the time.

6. I always try to make the healthier option. When I'm cooking I will use whole wheat flour instead of white when I can and I choose the fat free salad dressing and sauces instead of the whole fat stuff. The little changes are what makes the difference for me. At first I could tell the difference and wasn't sure if I would stick to them but after I got used to it, I don't want the old stuff anymore. It tastes unhealthy to me and my body doesn't want it.

That's what I am doing and it has been working for me. I hope I gave you a few tips that will work for you. It's definitely a lot of hard work but it is totally paying off. The biggest thing for me is that I can see my muscle getting more toned and stronger. I'm not as tired anymore and I feel a whole lot better. Before I started I constantly felt like I was coming down with a cold. I don't feel that way anymore and I know it's because of the change I have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment